EAT HEALTH AND THRIVE: Pecan & Mushroom Burgers
Filled with toasted pecans, vinegar-splashed mushrooms and bulgur, these burgers have an earthy, nutty character that pairs perfectly with the luxurious Blue Cheese Sauce.
* 8 servings
* Active Time: 1 hour
* Total Time: 1 hour
2/3 cup bulgur
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 cup boiling water
6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 ounces white or brown mushrooms, stems trimmed, wiped clean and chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped onion, (1 large)
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup pecan halves
Blue Cheese Sauce, optional (recipe follows)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
8 whole-wheat buns, (optional)
Watercress, for garnish
1. Place bulgur and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Pour the boiling water over, cover and set aside until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Drain in a sieve, pressing out excess liquid.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Immediately transfer the mixture to a plate and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
3. Toast pecans in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until fragrant, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
4. Prepare Blue Cheese Sauce, if using.
5. Combine the vegetable mixture and pecans in a food processor; pulse briefly until coarsely chopped. Add egg and the bulgur; pulse briefly, scraping down the sides if necessary, until the mixture is cohesive but roughly textured. Transfer to a bowl; stir in breadcrumbs and pepper. Mix well.
6. With dampened hands, form the mixture into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
7. Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 4 patties at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until evenly browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Meanwhile, split and toast buns, if using, to serve the burgers on. Garnish the burgers with watercress and the cheese sauce, if desired.
Tips & Notes:
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through step 6. Wrap patties individually and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
Per serving (without buns or garnishes): 197 calories; 12 g fat ( 1 g sat , 7 g mono ); 26 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (17% daily value)
“We’re changing our client’s lives – Give us an opportunity to change your’s. Join us and start moving in a healthier direction”.
Have a question? Ask a Health & Fitness Professional: email@example.com
Visit THE FITNESS UNDERGROUND-LOS ANGELES: http://www.thefitnessunderground.com
Visit EAT HEALTHY AND THRIVE: http://www.eathealthyandthrive.com
“The Nutrition and Weight Management division of The Fitness Underground LA”
GET FIT, STAY WELL AND THRIVE IN 2011
A YEAR FROM NOW YOU MAY WISH YOU STARTED TODAY!
The Fitness Underground-Los Angeles c.2011