EAT HEALTHY & THRIVE: Charred Tomato & Chicken Tacos
Charring tomatoes in a cast-iron skillet yields smoky results.
* 6 servings, 2 tacos each
* Active Time: 35 minutes
* Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound ripe plum tomatoes, cored (about 4-5)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream for garnish
- 2 limes, cut into quarters
1. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Place tomatoes in the skillet and turn occasionally with tongs until charred on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Cut in half crosswise; squeeze to discard seeds. Chop the remaining pulp and skins; set aside.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of the oil to the pan and heat over high heat until the oil is very hot. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned on all sides and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeños and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add lime juice and the reserved chicken and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and stir in cilantro and scallions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
4. Spoon filling into warm tortillas, roll up and serve with sour cream and lime wedges.
Tips & Notes Wrap tortillas in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 310 calories; 7 g fat ( 2 g sat , 3 g mono ); 68 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 140 mg sodium; 613 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Selenium (35% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Vitamin A (17% dv).
“We’re changing our client’s lives – Give us an opportunity to change your’s. Join us and start moving in a healthier direction”.
Have a question? Ask a Health & Fitness Professional: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit THE FITNESS UNDERGROUND-LOS ANGELES: http://www.thefitnessunderground.com
Visit EAT HEALTHY AND THRIVE: http://www.eathealthyandthrive.com “The Nutrition and Weight Management division of The Fitness Underground LA”
GET FIT, STAY WELL AND THRIVE IN 2012
A YEAR FROM NOW YOU MAY WISH YOU STARTED TODAY!
The Fitness Underground-Los Angeles c.2012 _________________________________________
PICK UP A COPY OF OUR NEW RELEASE!!!
* * Boost Your Metabolism by Markus & Texas Boesch * *
“Learn how to increase your metabolism and burn calories like never before.”
Print Version & Ebook – Available At: LuLu.com / Barnes & Noble / Itunes / Amazon / The Fitness Underground Website
BUY NOW HERE: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Texasb