EAT WELL AND THRIVE: Southwestern Corn & Black Bean Salad
Here’s a great make-ahead dinner–and leftovers are welcome for lunch the next day. If you make it ahead, don’t add the salt and pepper until just before serving. That way, the salt won’t render the vegetables soggy and the pepper won’t lose its bite. Make It a Meal: Scoop up this salad with warm corn tortillas.
4 servings, 2 cups each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3 large ears of corn, husked
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage, (see Tip)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
1. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add corn, cover and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs using a sharp knife.
2. Meanwhile, place pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
3. Whisk lime juice, oil, cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the corn, pine nuts, beans, cabbage, tomato and onion; toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tips & Notes:
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Tip: Convenient preshredded cabbage can be purchased, in bags, in the produce section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 410 calories; 16 g fat ( 2 g sat , 8 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 477 mg sodium; 537 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
“We’re changing our client’s lives – Give us an opportunity to change your’s. Join us and start moving in a healthier direction”.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
PICK UP A COPY OF OUR NEWEST RELEASE!!!
Boost Your Metabolism by Markus & Texas Boesch
“Learn how to increase your metabolism and burn calories like never before.”
Print Version & Ebook – Available At: LuLu.com / Barnes & Noble / Itunes / Amazon / The Fitness Underground Website
Buy Your Copy Here Today: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Texasb
Have a question? Ask a Health & Fitness Professional: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit THE FITNESS UNDERGROUND-LOS ANGELES: http://www.thefitnessunderground.com
Visit EAT HEALTHY AND THRIVE: http://www.eathealthyandthrive.com
Join us! Get Fit, Stay Well and Thrive in 2012.
A year from now you may wish you had!
The Fitness Underground-Los Angeles c.2012